« Ethiopia - P.M. Meles Zenawi vows investment in telecoms, ITETHIOPIA: Millennium celebrations to target malaria control »

Ethiopia - Theo Gebreselassie makes Czech football history

08/22/07

Categories: Sport, Ethiopia, Football

Ethiopia - Theo Gebreselassie makes Czech football history

Theo Gebreselassie makes Czech football history (Photo: fcvysocina.cz )

Ethiopia - Theo Gebreselassie makes Czech football history

THEO Gebreselassie has made Czech history, becoming the first black footballer to play for a national team.

Gebreselassie, 20, who has an Ethiopia father and Czech mother, played for the Under-21 team in a 1-0 defeat by Scotland at Falkirk today (AEST).

The midfield player with second division club Vysocina Jihlava said: "Someone has to be the first."

Born in the south-east Czech town of Trebic, Gebreselassie came on as a 46th-minute substitute.

"I'm very happy to be part of the squad and I hope to stay there as long as is possible," he said, adding that he had encountered few problems with racism in Czech stadia.

"Certainly from time to time some fans shout some things but I don't pay it any attention."

Gebreselassie dismissed any relation to legendary long-distance runner Haile Gebreselassie.

"The surname is very common in Ethiopia, like Novak in the Czech Republic."

Kilmarnock striker Steven Naismith scored a fourth-minute winner for Scotland.

Agence France-Presse

Mezmur

Good luck BRO….

08/22/07 @ 00:43
Comment from: Aragawi [Visitor]
Aragawi

well done Theo

I would have never gussed he was halfcast
he looks like a pure breed Ethiopian

88|

08/22/07 @ 00:49
Comment from: metene [Visitor]
metene

Keep it up! What is pure breed Ethiopian? This itself is racist thinking in my view. Are we reading about this guy because his father is an Ethiopian or he identifies himself with Ethiopia? does he speak the language? Just few questions.

08/22/07 @ 01:21
Comment from: abraham [Visitor]
abraham

Tak ze mame jeden clovek mohol dokazat co mozu Mulati.Brat moj drzim ti palce aby si dokazal lepsie aj nabuduce. Ja to viem ako tazko zit a pracovat racistickyimi myslenkami skinhedov. Mas u koho sa obratit ked sa neda stale si Etiopican.
drz sa
abraham

08/22/07 @ 02:30
Comment from: Aragawi [Visitor]
Aragawi

metene

don’nt take it the other way around
by saying pure breed Ethiopian
i simply meant he looks as if both his
parents are Ethiopian

I do’nt know about you but most Ethiopian halfcast that i have seen are light skinned with brown hair,therefor i expressed
my amazement seeing that he looks full
instead of half

it may not be related to the topic
but if you read the fist sentenc, I congratulated him on his achievement

08/22/07 @ 02:33
Comment from: ADDIS [Visitor]
ADDIS

Aragawi,

You think you’re “pure breed".

What is “pure” about you? or What is pure about “abasha” like you?

You’re a rude man.

08/22/07 @ 02:52
Comment from: Amsterdamer [Visitor]
Amsterdamer

Good Luck Fella,
Make us Proud….

Am confident, In few years we will see you in premier league, primeara division, Bunds Liga or Copa Italia…..

08/22/07 @ 05:00
Comment from: Yeha [Visitor]
Yeha

I know why because he got the Ethiopian winner gene. Nice job keep it up young man.

08/22/07 @ 05:56
Comment from: HAYAL [Visitor]
HAYAL

He rather looks like a South African, wiht his high cheekbones!Anyway great job, Theo we wihs you luck and success!

08/22/07 @ 06:02
Comment from: Godge [Visitor]
Godge

Good Gob Brother!!!!I am sure one day you will be the best players in the world.

08/22/07 @ 06:28
Comment from: Alemayehu [Visitor]
Alemayehu

Hi ! oooooooo !

I never guss that this is a Ethio half cast.I I have my self Ethio half cust Girl you never Guss that she has Ethio-Blood .
They are so beatiful and Briliant !!

Good Luck Brother !
AR.

08/22/07 @ 07:41
Comment from: woygud [Visitor]
woygud

He is an Obama of our own and we are proud of him.
Good luck Theodore (Tedros/ Teddy)

08/22/07 @ 08:28
Comment from: Genealogy [Visitor]
Genealogy

Look at his Genealogy (from Greek: ãåíåá, genea). His father side is very dominant! I would have no way of guessing his mother is from Cez.
Anyways… good luck and keep hanging there!

08/22/07 @ 08:30
Comment from: merara [Visitor]
merara

Just the fact that his father is Ethiopian makes him interesting to me. I really didn’t get your point. Good job, Theo, anyway.

08/22/07 @ 09:07
Comment from: Demelash [Visitor]
Demelash

Edege Yager Lije, hope to see you, playing for gain club like M.United and Chelsea.

Good luck to you Mr. Theo