« Ethiopia - Ethiopians get texting in AmharicEthiopia - Jimma University partners with Yale to use Open Yale Courses »

Ethiopia sent 1255 children to American families in 2007

12/11/07

04:39:06 pm, by admin, 225 words
Categories: Ethiopia, Culture and Society

Ethiopia sent 1255 children to American families in 2007

File Photo: Angelina Jolie with her Ethiopia-born daughter

Ethiopia sent 1255 children to American families in 2007

Adoptions from Ethiopia is on the increase and in 2007, 1255 children were adopted by American families, according to a report by the New York Times. In 2006, the number was 732, an increase of 71%. China is still the most popular place for American adoption, followed by Guatemala, Russia and Ethiopia.

“Americans adopt more foreign-born children than all other countries in the world combined,” said Maura Harty, the assistant secretary of state for consular affairs. “As a Hague Convention country we can — we must — require reform and transparency in some countries or adoptions to the U.S. will stop.”

The report added that Ethiopia did not sign the Hague Convention on Intercountry Adoption which the United States will ratify tomorrow.

Read Original Story from the New York Times

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR ADOPTIVE PARENTS:

Source: State Department

According to country information page of State Department, here is the eligibility requirement for adopting parents. "The Ethiopian government prefers to place children with married couples who have been married for at least five years. In general, single persons under age 25 may not adopt, nor may openly gay or lesbian individuals or couples. However, the Ethiopian government has occasionally approved cases involving persons in all of these categories".

You can find the complete information from the State Department

1 2 3 4 >>

Comment from: AGAM [Visitor]
AGAM

If all diaspora ethiopians were adopting children from thier neighborhood that are poor,there would have being less adoption by outsiders.Even those rich people in ethiopia are less inclined to help poor families.Our culture in this area need a tuna up serious one.

12/12/07 @ 05:14
Comment from: ruth_sweet [Visitor]
ruth_sweet

I support any one with diffrent sexuall
orentation can adoupt ,but I suggest the
gay to adoubt womens and the laisbian
a man

12/12/07 @ 10:11
Comment from: Yeha [Visitor]
Yeha

Good luck. I think this is better opportunity for them as well.

12/12/07 @ 10:22
Comment from: Z-Mike [Visitor]
Z-Mike

This huge change from last year. I am sure this has to do with Angelina Jolie. It’s great to see some many Americans are opening their homes to assist our children. Now, think like AGAM said if all Ethiopians can help our orphans… how wounder would that be to see our own people becoming part of the rebuilding process in Ethiopia… Just think about it again… Be there for our people and make a differnce in child’s life…

VIVA USA!
thank you.

12/12/07 @ 11:30
Comment from: ment4you [Visitor]
ment4you

Please STOP selling the children. I have seen a few on a plain myself and they did not look too happy.

This government needs to come up with a way to help these children and keep them home where they will be much happier.

And how do they know the people are not going to abuse them?

I have seen two white male parents taking a boy for adoption. This is dangers.

12/12/07 @ 11:59
Comment from: Frank [Visitor]
Frank

Do we know that Adoption in Ethiopia is
controlled by about 12 gagesters who are millionairs by selling children. I have enough evidence that no adoption agency is
required their acccount be audited. Today in ethiopian child market one child has a value of $10000. Sadly enough poor parents arepushed to sell their children by this savages. ?I personally know the person who sell childdren to France and his name is Assefa. Please stop maarketing our children. Ministry of Social affairs have to create a strong regultion.

12/12/07 @ 12:14
Comment from: mussie Gada [Visitor]
mussie Gada

We should all get envolve in this, this is truly a great thing

12/12/07 @ 12:24
Comment from: SOLADDIS [Visitor]
SOLADDIS

It is so sad to see these children ended up in unknown family. No back groud check, No trace… just disappeared . We are not sure if these children will not be abused or serve as a sex slaves. Children selling business in Addis is booming and some even bragged about it. Look what happened in Chad. Who is ging to trace this children’s fate. For God’s sake, please do not sell ethiopian kids for money, ask for donation money rather so they could live with their own people, their own culture and family. We should not bragg about this process as it is Shame Shame and Shame.

12/12/07 @ 12:44
Comment from: Tom [Visitor]
Tom

Ment4you, from your writing I can see you are a typical Amhara. Why get jelous if these kids have good homes? Try to change your culture of envy. If a kid from the gutter with no food no future get a home You have to say Haleluja.

12/12/07 @ 13:09
Comment from: birhan [Visitor]
birhan

thousands of young girls to arabs, thousands of babies to westerners, thousands asylum seekers in african countries, tens of thousands as migrants PER LEAVE poor ETHIOPIA FOR GOOD!

12/12/07 @ 13:32
Comment from: ZA [Visitor]
ZA

I don’t have with adoption process as such and I agree there should be a strict process for adoption and Ethiopian must work only with legitimate adoption agencies in the U.S.A , Europe or other countries. But I doubt that most of you are concerned seriously about the well fair of these children being adopted by Americans or Europeans. Ok. Let’s assume you concerns are legitimate and the adoption process is dropped. And what…? What are you going to do to help these kids from being starved? Or them being on street? Or them being sick? I hope you have asked yourself these questions before you post your comments. I live in the U.S. and I know several parents that adopted children from Ethiopia. I see them providing these kids a loving home, educate them and most of all give them a hope. A hope that one day they will grow up and become somebody. So, please stop this non sense and do your part.

12/12/07 @ 14:35
Comment from: gergud [Member]
gergud

for the people like angelina all i can say is that God bless you that’s all i can say

12/12/07 @ 14:40
Comment from: amraw [Visitor]
amraw

This has a long term good effect to Ethiopia. Hopefully out of this 1255 kids 5 to 10 of them will have a good opportunity the help other back home when they grow up. Peace!!

12/12/07 @ 14:42
Comment from: Bekele [Visitor]
Bekele

THANK YOU! It’s really nice of the caring families to take care of the children of Ethiopia. But the adoption agency should check that these children are not being abused or hurt by some uncaring parents. Ethiopia should make more improvements and institutions so the children of Ethiopia can help their mother country.

12/12/07 @ 15:35
Comment from: fromhere [Visitor]
fromhere

Hello, I am a visitor to this site, and also the adoptive mother of a child from Ethiopia. Please forgive me if this is not the forum to express this, but I am wiping away tears as I read these comments and I would like to offer my perspective.

First, thank you to everyone who has commented. I appreciate all of your concerns and views.

Second, I want to express that we are humbled and honored to be raising a child of Ethiopia. I am heartbroken to read about corruption. It is TERRIBLE to know this is happening. We have no reason to believe that this happened in our case, but we also confirmed our agency’s information through an independent source to make sure. His life began in a way that no child’s should, and I hope he one day will look upon his tragedy and his adoption with grace.

Third, it is my deepest wish that my child will see the love of his first mother shining through my every action toward him. I always kiss him twice, once from me and once for her. Ethiopia is his birthright, and we hold your country in the highest regard. To the Ethiopians reading, please know that this child has all of the love and opportunity that a family and community can offer. I hope you all will be as proud of him as we are because you are his family, too. And thank you to all of the kind people of Ethiopia who have given us advice, friendship, and blessings.

That is all.