« U.S. Special Forces killed Top Terrorist Leader in SomaliaEthiopia - Holiday price hike fails to materialise »

1 3 4 5 ...6 ...7 8

Comment from: Tsiyon [Visitor]
Tsiyon

Most parents give there child willingly.
The true story is actually, it is the ppl that agrees to adopt the children that get misinformed and in so many occuasions they have been talled the toddlers real-parents are no more alive.

I actually think that it is an opportunity for the children to live up to their potential.
Had this not been the case, it is highly likely that the children would have end up in the street of addis after a while.

This so called real-parents are not actually worried much about their children. What all they need is some mony for themselves and they won’t give a dame about the condition of there child. The are even wiling to give their child for hard labour as long as they get little money in return.

09/14/09 @ 23:20
Comment from: Abyot [Visitor]
Abyot

Ethiopians have been saying this for years, Woyane is selling our children to the highest bidder.

My beef is with Woyane not the Americans or westerners who are opening their home and heart to welcome what they thought are orphans. As the article articulates it, international adoption should be the very last resort, but unfortunately it has become a cash cow for those involved in the business.

And my sources in Addis tell me that, Woyanes are big time playas in the adoption business and the government is turning a blind eye to the whole situation.

I am hopeful this report will help in stopping these illegitimate adoptions.

Most of the adopting parents from America are in Ethiopia with good intentions, it is the adoption agencies who are gaming the system for a quick profit. And Woyanes are sleep at the switch once again, not doing their responsibility, which is regulating.

09/14/09 @ 23:33
Comment from: Disappointed [Visitor]
Disappointed

Is this the so called Developnent in Ethiopia which the useless Meles is has been deafening our ears?

I pray God eliminate this beggar man?

09/15/09 @ 00:22
Comment from: lebona [Visitor]
lebona

Tsiyon,
What planet are you from? Would YOU give your children up for some money? Do YOU KNOW anybody who has done that? Would it be fair to conclude from your remarks that you are one of those people who works for those “adoption” agancies?

09/15/09 @ 00:39
Comment from: kibrom [Visitor]
kibrom

I am very sorry, every thing is for sale now in the land of weyane! Land, women, babies……

09/15/09 @ 00:51
Comment from: ababiya [Visitor]
ababiya

“yeferin mender ahiya yiworewal” our father died for us and the land they left for us. Now, we the adults could not even cry to save the children from dog bit. i don’t blame no one but my self because i am not any better than a dog. Woyane is better than me.

09/15/09 @ 00:59
Comment from: lij [Visitor]
lij

These children my survive the West physically but psychologically, they are a mess. Poverty is not of money alone, it can be of spirit as well. Poor and dignified with a history and a community is better than rich and empty inside and that is what they will get. It is difficult to develop a strong sense of self for a balck person in the West. There is what is called institutionalized structure that works against a person of dark skin.

09/15/09 @ 01:33
Comment from: [Member]
ephrem

I live in Australia and everytime I see an adopted Ethiopian kid, my heart wants to pop out of me and tears hang in to my eyes. Not only for those with whites parents, but even for those Ethiopian kids with parents with little education or none.

For those of us who grow up even in Ethiopia with some sort of identity, life is not easy. Let alone for those kids who are growing up with parents of diffrent colour. Do not get me wrong, their might have adopted kids for one or another reason. In most cases it might be a helping…but I wander what kind of kids will they be. If you ask any Ethiopian about their own kids…they even have a nightmares what their children’s life will be.

Some Ethiopians kids even growing up here are not having a happy ending their parents dreamed of. In a very fast moving and cofusing world, some of them are having mental problems one way or another. some of the reason might be school yard bullying or not able to mix with other kids…part of it might be the social skill parents may need to teach their children..say even helping them with school work is not upto scratch…as they have little or no education.

I could write a book on the challenges of children wether they are adopted as child or came as an adult. I have even mate people who ae still struggling after coming here through scholarship, skilled migrants and to work…The challenge is real and I think governments needs to work through these challenges.

I am really thankfull Marry Ann Jolley..to bring this to light. The picture you put above speaks a thousand words and every ethiopian who is going to read your article knows, what you are going to write by just looking the title and the heart breaking picture.

Anyway, I have to stop here for now…and will see what others say. But for those of you like Abyot…stop your politics this is a serious matter. These are mothers who are crying day in and day out with guilt for giving up their children. Please be reminded adopted children might read this or their parents.
Bye for now

09/15/09 @ 02:40
Comment from: [Member]
bombolino

Yes, it’s true. This is one of the situations where government needs to step in and do something about those Agencies who are dishonest, for the sake of a child.

However, let’s face it. For as long as I can remember, I do not know any well to do people in Ethiopia who are adopting orphans and raise them for a better future. That experience has not been widely practiced in Ethiopia.

But,I am not saying that there are no people with enough resources who are adopting and help orphans in Ethiopia. I am sure there are a few of them.

Although, let’s not forget the harsh reality of what most of those Orphans go through when they are placed in people’s homes in Ethiopia. From my experience,if people take in an Orphan in Ethiopia,most likely than not she or he’s will end up being a maid or a house server for the rest of their lives. Therefore, the statement that states “Domestic adoption should be considered first” really does not make sense to me at all.

Even if people are adopting in Ethiopia, it’s not like there’s going to be a shortage of orphans for foreigners to go around.

But again, it’s the government that has to regulate these things, so the door for those deceitful agencies would be narrowed.

09/15/09 @ 03:00
Comment from: wer [Visitor]
wer

THE TYRANT GOVERNMENT FAILED TO PROTECT ITS CITIZENS…IT FAILED TO PROTECT CHILDREN…IT JUST FAILED US, IT FAILED ETHIOPIA AND ITS CHILDREN

09/15/09 @ 03:35
Comment from: Tadele [Visitor]
Tadele

No body sells your children,if you don’t have any clue about having a child, even most animals make their offspring self sufficient before having another one, who gonna raise your six or more babies eventhough you can’t afford one ? Meles ? If you don’t manage your own life, you will be the source of misery for your own children, not the government.

09/15/09 @ 03:53
Comment from: Akilo [Visitor]
Akilo

DAMN THOSE WHITE PEOPLE TOOK OUR KIDS

09/15/09 @ 04:02
Comment from: birhan [Visitor]
birhan

Thanks a million MARY, for telling the truth with good narration. FOR TPLF EVERYTHING IS FOR SELL: LAND, CHILDREN,YOUNG GIRLS. SELLING WHAT DOES NOT BELONG TO IT AND BEGGING IN ITS OWN AND ON THE NAME OF OTHERS IS TPLF’S ART.

09/15/09 @ 04:02
Comment from: Mamo Gada [Visitor]
Mamo Gada

Mamo Gada

Mary Ann Jolley should be a screen writer rather than a journalist; she invented a story out of something that is not news worse. Western corporate media exploits the world poorest individuals with no regard to their individual dignity and self respect. They travel any where in African and record and/or take horrific pictures that will eventually land in the front page of every major newspaper and news media. Yes there is little truth to her reporting, but most of it is exaggeration and theatrical creative writing that is very typical in contemporary English literature which seems to stick with her from journalism school days. The uncomfortable truth is that we all are playing in the global capitalism system and the “Race to the Bottom” is inevitable. This is true in child adaptation, journalism, and it is also true when the global corporate takes over the poor farmers singular means of subsistence i.e. their land. I’m not questioning the theory of Neo- liberal philosophy and its potential to exploit, because it is clear to many people but rather I am amused by its paradoxical nature and it’s not singular but double and triple exploitation in a very paradoxical terms but in very consistent and persistent means. In plain language:

American foster Parent gets Ethiopian Kids. “Race to the Bottom” right? Australian journalist looks for catchy front pager news = to the exploitation of African poor and its image in the world arena. Mary Ann Jolley Gets paid good chunks of money = lives in suburban affluent community, and drives Volvo. She also obtains prestige, moral authority and legitimacy in African mater. Corporate media (ABC) makes quadruple profit from Mary Ann work; share holders make money. CEO gets bones on top of stack option and enormous salary. CEO owns fancy condo in lower Manhattan, owns a fancy house in affluent suburban community, and yes summer vacation beach house. Drives expensive cars and once a year attend fund raising diner which could be attributed to stopping hanger in African, because it’s good for PR (public relation)

Prove me wrong ????????????

09/15/09 @ 04:04
Comment from: PIG SLAYER [Visitor]
PIG SLAYER

_______________________________

The same goes for trafficking young Ethiopian maids, so called domestic workers, to The Middle East.

The greedy, soulless & uneducated TPLF/EPLF junta and their equally greedy, soulless & uneducated greedy followers worship only Money.
They are too dumb and to greedy to have anything remotely clsoe to a vision when it comes to their Motherland.

I consider them traitors and I hate them!

09/15/09 @ 04:13