« Profile: Gebisa Ejeta, Ethiopian-born scientist at Purdue UniversityEthiopia Again Struggles to Treat Malnutrition »

Ethiopian Sex Workers ‘Wise Up’

10/15/09

10:07:47 pm, by admin, 94 words
Categories: Ethiopia

Ethiopian Sex Workers ‘Wise Up’

Ethiopian Sex Workers ‘Wise Up’

Timret le Hiwot in Ethiopia - Part 3

Political correctness has never been much of a bother for me. If there’s a kinder, more respectful way to speak, I’m generally happy to find it. And if ever a word needed a kinder, more respectful overhaul, it’s the word prostitute.

Enter the world of Timret le Hiwot, a nongovernmental organization based in Addis Ababa that strives to eradicate HIV and AIDS in Ethiopia through work with some of the country’s most vulnerable citizens, commercial sex workers.

Read More ...

Comment from: bahai [Visitor]
bahai

Wow, good development, no time for pretense.

10/16/09 @ 00:16
Comment from: Mimi [Visitor]
Mimi

The most important thing to teach them should be it is better to live small & safe in dignity. Because there is no income from this little handicrafts can come close to what they get paid as sex workers.

10/16/09 @ 04:07
Comment from: Habesha [Visitor]
Habesha

The only means to eradicate prostitusion is through eradication of poverity and creating of job to all citizines. But there is also prostitution in the more civilized world. Therefore, women who works with commercial sex must take care for their health using condoms and othe protection mechanisms.

10/16/09 @ 04:25
Comment from: c´moi senait [Visitor]
c´moi senait

The weyannes DEVELOPEMENT and PROGRESS brought 10000 Pro. Prost. in Addis. Some of them a lacky and work now in DC. with crack-heads in USA.

10/16/09 @ 10:27
Comment from: Study Shows [Visitor]
Study Shows

I am not sure what the Ethiopian study on AIDs has shown regarding how and who is spreading the disease. You will be surpirsed to learn that in India, the Governement went after the sex-workers to educate and test etc…however, a close data collection and follow up of the disease revealed a different story. The group that was more likely to transmit the disease to the society were Men. They had multiple partners and they also had wives, who gave it to their children etc…so sex-workers are not always the only place to look for when dealing with AIDS, it was the same story in Thailand. Men were infecting their wives in a large numbers that they even announced that “It was dangerous to be married", due to multiple partners etc…so the question is how is the disease being carried and spread across the country, what age group, what gender, what behaviour, I am sure there are studies to revel this. …it would be interesting to see the big picture.

10/16/09 @ 11:49
Comment from: Nahom [Visitor]
Nahom

While I was in Addis, me and my friends used to go out with many of this girls, apparently some of my friends still do now too. People, it is not that much of a serious deal of being a prostitute, come on every guy in Addis has at least one time history with them… In my perspective, they are one of the societies of people that need to be there; for example, what if I don’t have a wife or a girl friend and need to have sex? Using protection you can go out with them, simple… People are forgetting that it is a way of means to live for the girls, if they get paid well and if they use protection, it is like any other job…
Any guys reading my comment, don’t act like you have never gone out with them!
Peace

10/16/09 @ 16:15
Comment from: Cubaya [Visitor]
Cubaya

Leave them alone we need sheleys !!!!

10/16/09 @ 16:36
Comment from: NO M000RE sex-shame [Visitor]
NO M000RE sex-shame

Nahom and other fat bellied, lazy, uneducated Ethiopians (AB)using vunurable women.

It’s because of you Animals we’re Bankok of Africa and it’s because of you perverts we’re not progressing.

You want sex you either get a girlfriend or in your case(s), a small boy.

Please change you Nationality to stinky Eritrean before I vomit on you.

Yakkkk

10/16/09 @ 18:31
Comment from: Seleme [Visitor]
Seleme

. . .even in the developed countries and the poverty is not there, but they have more prostitutes than us. I visited Amsterdam at the back of Prince Hendrik the famous red light district in Holland. I cant believe that even the beside of Oude Kerk Church has theres a lot of lineup cubicle prostitute rooms. . .

. . .prostitutes are unstopable even in the countries that prostitute is forbidden, and this is exist long long time ago. . .

. . .my point is, yes Poverty is one of the reasons why we have a lot of prostitutes but we can minimize the increase and the spread of decease by use of protection, mandatory medical checkup, giving them livelihood projects, good religeous and parental guidance. . .

. . .again, we cannot stop this but we other way to minimize the spreading of decease and increasing prostitutes in our country. . .

God Bless Ethiopia. . .

10/17/09 @ 00:54
Comment from: Jegna [Visitor]
Jegna

Education is the best way to fight the spread of HIV. Alot of people are not aware of how it is transmitted and since Ethiopia is religious society where sex is a taboo topic not discussed with in the family, education becomes even more difficult.

Nahom [Visitor] I am a grown adult and I have never been with a sex worker. Also there are girls in this world who will sleep with you even if they are not your gf or wife. Good luck bro’ but I would advise you be really careful sex isn’t worth your life.

10/17/09 @ 20:29
Comment from: alex [Visitor]
alex

i have overcome my sex addictions, thats an achievement thankyou! I hope the women get a different and better livelihood.:P

10/17/09 @ 22:02
Comment from: ambessa [Visitor]
ambessa

Nahom,
I agree with you that most of us go out with prostitutes. Unfortunately, still many young men and adult the same are practicing this irresponsible behavior. It is logic that someone who doesn’t have a wife or girl friend to look for a sex worker to satisfy his natural sexual needs, but, we need to remember that the way to AIDS is through this unsafe and unprotected sex. So, dear Nahom yes it is a wide spread in our community, but that doesn’t make it “not serious”. It is a very serious and we must look for a solution to it. I think you will agree with me when I say that most of the women in the business are not happy with what they are doing. The majority of them are in the business because of poverty and I believe that poverty is an ugly, poverty can force you to do anything.

10/17/09 @ 23:15
Comment from: Sami 1 [Visitor]
Sami 1

commercial sex workers..

Are they taxed too…

I think they should be called

Privet sex workers!

They should only be allowed in discreer out of home or hotel.

I think!

Ask Meles and he will have word for them since he always have a word for anything!

10/18/09 @ 01:38
Comment from: samudwaq [Visitor]
samudwaq

IT IS INTERSTING TOPIC TO DEAL WITH. YET WE HAVE TO GO DEEP DOWN TO KNOW THE REASON MANY TIMES WE THINK IT IS POVERTY BUT DO YOU THINK ONLY AFRICANS ARE PROSTITUE BELIEVE IT IT IS IN EVERY SOCIETY AND ALWAYS INFACT IN ETHIOPIA IT IS NEW WE CAN SAY SURELY IT CAME WITH ITALIAN INVASION.FOR ME THE SOLUTION IS EDUCATION TO RESPECT HUMAN VAULE THAN ANY OTHER MATERIAL VALUE EDUCATE TO RESPECT SEX THAT IT IS NOT SOME TO BUY AND SELL BUT IT IS GIFT FROM CREATOR FOR PURPOSE OF LOVING RELATION. AND EDUCATE TO RESPECT WOMAN THAT IT IS SOME THING TO BUY OR SELL LIKE OTHER MATERIAL THINGS.
I AM FULLY RESPONSSIBLE FOR THIS COMMENT.

10/18/09 @ 04:01