« Ethiopian newspaper reports tampering of its mailEthiopia doubts Eritrea's intentions in border deal »

Ethiopia - Addis Ababa ranks as one of the Cheapest cities for expats to live in the World - report

06/29/10

Categories: Ethiopia

Ethiopia's fast changing capital, Addis Ababa, has been ranked as one of the least expensive places to live for expatriates, according to the latest Cost of Living Survey from Mercer. Mercer's Cost of Living Survey puts Addis Ababa, as the cheapest African city, ranking 208 out of 214 cities around the world.

According to the report, Angola's capital Luanda is the most expensive city in the world for expatriates followed by Tokyo, Ndjamena, Moscow and Geneva.

The survey covers 214 cities across five continents and measures the comparative cost of over 200 items in each location, including housing, transport, food, clothing, household goods and entertainment. It is the world’s most comprehensive cost of living survey and is used to help multinational companies and governments determine compensation allowance for their expatriate employees.

You can find the full report here.

1 2 3 4 5 6 >>

Comment from: zimm [Visitor]
zimm

I am going to settle in Addis; telecommute from there to Seattle and save some moolah.Hopefully,prices won’t shoot up after this NEWS!

06/29/10 @ 01:51
Comment from: mershiti [Visitor]
mershiti

it may be cheap for foreigners but it has always been whey too expensive for the natives(that is why most of us had to leave)…HAGERE ETHIOPIA MECHEM LE GEZA LIGOCHISH HUNESH ATAWIKIM …YE MOTELISH KERTO YEGEDELESH BELA…AYENET NEW!!!!

06/29/10 @ 02:03
Comment from: Yirgacheffee [Visitor]
Yirgacheffee

I LIKE CHEAP! CHEAP IS GOOD! Particularly CHEAP OIL!

06/29/10 @ 02:35
Comment from: justin [Visitor]
justin

It maybe. But buying a house is not cheap in Addis. It’s comparable to buying one in America.

ኢትዮጵያ ለዘላለም ትኑር

06/29/10 @ 03:12
Comment from: Chala [Visitor]
Chala

Addis Shegar…. am on my way…enough this stressfull life in the west.

06/29/10 @ 03:24
Comment from: M.J Tyson [Visitor]
M.J Tyson

If you don,t have a death sentence placed on your head for treason, and your first name isn’t Berhanu and your last name isn’t Nega then Ethiopia is diffidently the place to be.

Addis is awesome.

06/29/10 @ 03:29
Comment from: c´moi senait [Visitor]
c´moi senait

I heard some ppl. are now using Birr as a Toilet paper thanks to Weyannes LEBA economy run and supported by Aidagency.

06/29/10 @ 03:53
Comment from: mengistu h/mariam [Visitor]
mengistu  h/mariam

How stupidity is tha to compared addis ababa with the world city’s which is a city 98% of her residents very poor and the income of those people is under $100 a months and the price of groceries and gas is way expensive than even u s a are you kidding me please use your mind, yes I am not dining that addis ababa is fast growing city from 1998 but living in there is very hard for Ethiopian people whose living in addis and with this conditions it’s crazy to say cheap city to live in

06/29/10 @ 04:01
Comment from: Imperial Body Guard [Visitor]
Imperial Body Guard

This means little to the badly housed poor unemployed majority in Ethiopia who have been robbed of their government, robbed of their land rights which has provided the sustenance for their survival.
“Just as a farm that is not taken care of cannot be free of weeds, so also the development of a society. It cannot be denied that there are some people who have scrupulously or unscrupulously attempted to or have acquired wealth. If the wealth of a person cannot be for the general welfare, what would he gain for himself and his offspring but grudge and hatred? The fruits of one’s sweat and mental labour are always rewarding, not only to oneself but to one’s succeeding generations.” HIM Negus Haile Selassie
Long Live the Constitutional Monarchy!
Long Live the Kebra Negast!
Long Live the Fetha Negast!
Fire burn down witchcraft star of ethnic federalism
Gasha for Ethiopians!
Rise with the Lion of Judah!
Long Live Independent Ethiopia!

06/29/10 @ 04:40
Comment from: anbesaw [Visitor]
anbesaw

Addis is not cheap for most Ethiopians, I am one the millions witness, I persons who is highly paid by Ethiopian standard will find it difficult to save. Talking to foreigners, yeah it is cheap for them but there are lots of things they could’t get because the service is not there.If you have one and want to buy new released book, tell me how you can do it in just few days, what about if you want to buy chemicals and do experiment for your kids or your school, what about amuzement parks. May be one of the reason it is cheap is due to less number of foreigner who want to live in Addis.

06/29/10 @ 04:48
Comment from: Uzawa [Visitor]
Uzawa

…..and one of the stinkiest city in the world to live in

Uzawa

06/29/10 @ 05:25
Comment from: addiszemen [Member]

Zimm,..ayeneqzimm!

Ewnetihen new,lesew satineger zimm bilhe tollo MOVE medreg new.

Every Ethiopian abroad by now may be thinkinking the same way like you. No doubt prices might sky-rocket soon.
All roads lead to Addis Ababa.
Tollo Tollo serten wede hager enigba!!!

06/29/10 @ 07:40
Comment from: kokeb [Visitor]
kokeb

Of course, “ADDIS ABABA” “NEW FLOWER” “THE CITY OF BEAUTIFUL” what is new here? where else in the world u get $1.00 LUNCH $1.00 motel $1.00 tej,tela or wine,$1.00 tea..coffe…or movie and still have $.50 cents for lucky-shelle not to mention the 13-months of rich rivers flowing in and around to keep addis all year around green and flower. For those who born other part of ethiopia coming to addis used to be like visiting paris or tokyo. Now my beloved city become the FU—ING ground of WEYNE-INVADERS, northern city dwellers,somali, arab,and other HIV carriers. Why not people go to there’s KILLIL?

06/29/10 @ 07:59
Comment from: sami1 [Visitor]
sami1

I do not know if I agree with that survey some times the surveys take to long to be reported. From what I know from family and my wife who as there for few months it is way to expensive to live in Addis. If you are getting money from abroad or have family who would send money then it is another story.

One of these days I hope to go back… After my kids are through school which will be in ten years or so… I hope I won’t be that old to contribute to EMAMA Ethiopia. My pension will give me a comfortable life even if the leaving expense goes up I will still be able to manage.

I wish I could go now, but my home is first “My Kids future". Our kids are given to us by God to take good care of them, to lead them, to make them good people who care for others.

My mother always love to help and we the kids kind of tap on to that and were able to give a list of student who have no shoe in class and buy for them every year at the beginning of the year from about grade 4 to 8th. Not even once we made it obvious to others we helped. We brought the shoes always in the school bag and me and my brother call a kid after school on the way their home we gave them the shoes.

After grade eight I went boarding school where again there were people with disadvantage who have no parent, but worked to attend school. One more time we were able to take them home for x-mass and ester in some cases even summer. I remember having five more kids at home for x-mass two weak break. The five kids with the mother who got lost in the war time with Somalia and their father was a soldier who is posted in Eritrea.
For over 10 years we fed two old ladies every day of the week. My mothers question as soon as a helper or the kids open the door was “Did you give food to the old ladies?” then and then she had her lunch and went back to work.
There was also the other “Drunk” neighbor who beat up his wife and got drunk every day and has no money to feed 5 kids. Every day we passed through the fence food for the kids and mother.
My mother has always 3 to 4 people who never pay rent, but stay at our place…
I wish I get a chance to help and give back to community especially in Ethiopia.

Since I came hear I got spoiled and always running to make money that I will spend on my way home with silly toys and coffee and bagel and so forth.

The most rewarding experience is giving with out expecting return!

I tell you not to show off since you do not know who I am it wont matter anyway.. But it is to give you an encouragment to give!

06/29/10 @ 08:20
Comment from: ewnetu [Visitor]
ewnetu

they think life in ethiopia cheap but they should have to put the data in related t
o the life index of the people of ethiopia,can you imagine purchasing price ,birr 1.5 for one egg, a kilo of black teff costing birr 1, to the family whose monthly income 300 birr

06/29/10 @ 08:36