« Ethiopia's Civil Aviation Authority irks UAEAfrican Union Wants UN to Boost Somalia Forces, End Weapons Ban »

Ethiopia children hack tablets in 5 months with zero instruction

11/01/12

Categories: Education, ICT

Ethiopia children hack tablets in 5 months with zero instruction

Self-taught: Children in Ethiopia are learning to use tablets distributed by OLPC.
Photos courtesy of Matt Keller

Ethiopia children 'master tablet PCs'

BBC Today

American researchers from the organisation Global Advocacy, One Laptop Per Child have mounted an experiment in two small Ethiopian villages to see the effect of new technology on children in remote regions of the developing world.
Helped by the Ethiopian government, they gave out tablet PCs, programmed in English and without any instructions, to every child between four and eleven years old in their target areas.
Early findings, they say, are astonishing and appear to suggest that tablets may do more for some children's education than schools or teachers. Global Advocacy's Matt Keller explained the thinking behind the experiment to the Today programme's Mike Thomson.

Listen to the Story from BBC Radio 4

---------------------

Photos courtesy of Matt Keller

Ethiopian kids hack OLPCs in 5 months with zero instruction

What happens if you give a thousand Motorola Zoom tablet PCs to Ethiopian kids who have never even seen a printed word? Within five months, they'll start teaching themselves English while circumventing the security on your OS to customize settings and activate disabled hardware. Whoa.

The One Laptop Per Child project started as a way of delivering technology and resources to schools in countries with little or no education infrastructure, using inexpensive computers to improve traditional curricula. What the OLPC Project has realized over the last five or six years, though, is that teaching kids stuff is really not that valuable. Yes, knowing all your state capitols how to spell "neighborhood" properly and whatnot isn't a bad thing, but memorizing facts and procedures isn't going to inspire kids to go out and learn by teaching themselves, which is the key to a good education. Instead, OLPC is trying to figure out a way to teach kids to learn, which is what this experiment is all about.

Read more ....

"We left the boxes in the village. Closed. Taped shut. No instruction, no human being. I thought, the kids will play with the boxes! Within four minutes, one kid not only opened the box, but found the on/off switch. He'd never seen an on/off switch. He powered it up. Within five days, they were using 47 apps per child per day. Within two weeks, they were singing ABC songs [in English] in the village. And within five months, they had hacked Android. Some idiot in our organization or in the Media Lab had disabled the camera! And they figured out it had a camera, and they hacked Android."

Photos courtesy of Matt Keller

Average user rating:
3.7 stars
(3.7)

1 2 3 >>

Comment from: C'est moi senait [Visitor]
C'est moi senait

Still, 11%GDP and here you have a good example of poor Ethiopian and their children’s with no proper close. 89% stll live in a misery but a few city Hoddams think they talk a false chiggaram GDP .

11/01/12 @ 03:07
Comment from: Ejole Ambo [Visitor]
Ejole Ambo

For generous, God fearing Americans who always care about the poor: Matthew 25: 35-40
” For I was hungry and you gave something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. Then the righteous will answer him,’Lord when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? when did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? when did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’The king will,’Truly I tell you, what ever you did for one of the least of these , you did for me.’

********

For greedy and selfish Ethiopian diaspora who don’t care about their own people: Matthew 25:40-46

” Then he will say to those on his left,’Depart from me, you who are cursed,into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat , I was thirsty and you gave nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’They also will answer ‘Lord,when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes, or sick or in prison and did not help you?’He will replay,’ Truly I tell you whatever did not do for one of the least of these brothers and sisters ,you did not do for me.Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

11/01/12 @ 04:25
Comment from: usfu [Visitor]
usfu

When they gave to computer, that was meant for experiment. It was not intended to benefit the kids. They say that they undertake experiment in unreal world , and make use of the result in real world (they call real is rich countries).

11/01/12 @ 04:35
Comment from: Zk [Visitor]
Zk

Kids are brilliant if given chances. These kids need education in order to become valuable citizens of Ethiopia. Unfortunately the government is not funding the education system enough to see a good result except boasting how many universities it has built which don’t have the necessary tools for students to learn. It is in Ethiopia where college graduates cannot even read properly. I’m not talking about English but languages they use everyday. Ethiopia’s future lies on today’s strong educated people. It is simply sad nobody thinking of that especially those who are in a position to do so.

11/01/12 @ 04:45
Comment from: Honest [Visitor]
Honest

The next Bill Gates might be watching a herd of goats on the highlands of Ethiopia!

11/01/12 @ 05:06
Comment from: olcbagsus707 [Visitor]
1 stars
olcbagsus707

Conscious of gratitude apt Longchamp Crest bar e Grey Scottie Bling Newborn Tote disclosed before duration longchamp bags outlet,the notable jot long champ has won the centre of millions folk longchamp bags.this distinctive time the Rome home launches a absent from rendition-Longchamp Crest bar Little hobo apt dinner its fanatics The Small two mimics the profile and details of preceding two,although graphite screen is really a lot added sophisticated plus sly to interpret city center stylish and artistic minimalism.
The Crest bar Compact hobo namely instantly out there among graphite fabric with graphite Longchamp fabric neat longchamp bags are selling well bring an end to the earth.distinguished itself from other Longchamp baggage of seeming elementary physical advent with out the Longchamp signatures. Even so, iconic Crest adornments accessorized with braided knobs reveals its aristocratic individuality longchamp tote have a large classification with change styles apt rather from Longchamp Bags Online Sale, Longchamp Bags Outlet with Free Shiping.. I actually favor its spell equipped and concise stunner, uncomplicated to brighten up apparel and difficult apt from form Meanwhile,basic draft even could emphasis while amid the flawless craftsmanship and scrumptious stuff.
The longchamp le pliage is spacious of 28in length seven.4wide,plus 21in peak Classic Longchamp inside laying of zip, longchamp channel online storage namely a fine alternative for you.booth shriek plus pad pockets are altogether ingenious apt obtain prepared your complete meek parts With the most capabilities of ambigu outsized zip closure and adaptive side belt it actually is lined within Longchamp crest cotton jacquard apt complete this especial groovy sack Fees USD2601. Satisfy the faultless with spend relaxation styleer chip with cheap cost plus cost-free deliver.

11/01/12 @ 05:21
Comment from: mesfin_b [Member]
mesfin_b

***To Honest***
ቢል ጌትስን እርሳው ስቲቭ ጆብ ነው በ አገራችን ገጠር ውስጥ እያደገ ያለው !!!
በጣም አስደናቂ ነገር ነው ::
የወደፊቱ የ ኢትዮጵያ ትውልድ አገራችንን ምን ያህል እንደሚያሳድጋት መገመት አያዳግትም ::

11/01/12 @ 06:25
Comment from: extraterrestrial [Member]
extraterrestrial

Very very interesting, love this experiment!!!

11/01/12 @ 06:28
Comment from: Ash [Visitor]
Ash

U don’t need experiment to know this. My G.kid who I bought iPad know how to operate iPad more then me. Even he knows how to use camara just like the above kids…in short it will work…I see it in my own eyes… I g.kid who is 3 years old loves his iPad more then TV…I can go on and on but my point is give more computer to Ethiopian kids then spending million to educate few..

11/01/12 @ 07:51
Comment from: C'est moi senait [Visitor]
C'est moi senait

Hallo

Are you all stupid here.

I am talking about how these kids live in a misery with no food and decent clothes and shelters. Where did all billions of dollars and pounds that weyannes gotv. Received from parasites charities gone? Teddy has a clear view of our population and exposed every single day the unfair distribution of the Ethiopians wealth. Look at this picture you stinky Ejola,Agazi vampire,Addis zeraf, HENI z bichvvxx etc….. These kids could be in one of your parents province with dirty water they drink from the river, they do not eat like those Hoddams weyannes you support here day and night from addis with multiple millions dollar that they are still looting the poor. No no. Those Leba weyannes are sending their children’s aboard with the money they stoled from these poor.

Do not come here sing your worthless chiggarams GDP and how they build roads and building in addis. Is it what you are proud of, you gimmatam weyannes and this includes the so called opposition who are waiting their turn to loot.

I want these kids to have a decent life’s with clean clothes,foods and shelters without any parasites charities. I have notice you chiggarams weyannes here that as soon as you fill your wesfatam belly ,you do not give a dam about where you grow up or others kids from your own province.

Agazi bandit,HENI z Arab horeeee and others. Azeb’s Gucci bags can feed 50 Children’s in this remote tiger province .have you thought about it? And those Hoddams weyannes from addis with golden rings and watch can feed the entire province.

11/01/12 @ 08:25
Comment from: vistor [Visitor]
vistor

The “DEAD MEAT ROTTEN ADWA ZINJERO” and his savage BESBASA-TEGRE invaders restricted the education system to tenth grade through out ethiopia, except @GAME HULUM ZERO LAND to kill the future of these type of bright kids.

11/01/12 @ 08:59
Comment from: B3636 [Visitor]
B3636

C’est moi senait
C’EST MOI SHERMUTA

Anchi tifram Shermuta how many times do I have to tell you to go back to your DC ghetto and get banged. You don’t know anything about politics. You must be a toilet for black gangsters there. You stink too much. You need to get out of here. Effffffff.

11/01/12 @ 09:43
Comment from: Sun [Visitor]
Sun

TO: vistor:

You idiot yewisha lig. Your must be some crack head Dikala. You are sick of yourself. Why don’t you get some rope and hang yourself. It will be much better than the life you are in right now. KIRFATAM!!

11/01/12 @ 09:54
Comment from: Power [Visitor]
Power

DOWN WITH USLESS, BACKWARK, DESPERATE, EXTREMIST DIASPORA OPPOSITION’S HATE POLITICS.
LONG LIVE EPDRF AND PROSPEROUS ETHIOPIA!!

11/01/12 @ 10:20
Comment from: Ejole Ambo [Visitor]
Ejole Ambo

C’est moi senait,

I’ve always wanted to ask you why are you so angry about UNICEF, UNHCR, Save the children, Doctors with out Borders,CARE
World vision, The international committee of the Red cross…??
How much does it suck to be a poor minded person like you?

With frequent drought,unpredictable harvest sporadic conflict and different kinds of disease including HIV/AIDS we would have been eradicated from the face of the earth if these humanitarian organization could not reached to us.

11/01/12 @ 10:20