« Ethiopia Muslims rally on Fridays as tension rises - APEthiopia: The Paradox of Meles Zenawi »

A Jumbotrek in Ethiopia's Mountains

11/02/12

10:21:14 pm, by admin, 180 words
Categories: Tourism

A Jumbotrek in Ethiopia's Mountains

A Jumbotrek in Ethiopia's Mountains

Journey across the Simiens, one of the world's most elevated and isolated wonderlands

My new companion on the mountain ledge emitted a croak and hopped a little closer. A momentary standoff followed as I contemplated a beak like bolt-cutters and talons the size of butcher's hooks. The ground dropped away for a vertical mile on either side of this slender promontory. This was no place for wrangling with a feathered brute. I shuffled back to let the enormous raven—twice as big as any I'd ever seen—scavenge from my picnic leftovers.

If you've ever wondered how Jack felt on that first foray up the beanstalk, you could do worse than to visit Ethiopia's Simien Mountains. Looming high above the volcanic outriders of the Great Rift Valley, 670 miles north of Addis Ababa, the range is nature junked-up on growth hormones: a 37-mile-long basalt escarpment staggered between altitudes of 10,000 and 15,000 feet. The area is populated by supersize plants, boisterous monkey armies 500-strong and supersize ravens with a penchant for cookie crumbs.

Read more from The Wall Street Journal

Average user rating:
5.0 stars
(5.0)

1 2 >>

Comment from: Gebru [Visitor]
Gebru

Unfortunately our own people in the diaspor prefer to vist: Disneyland, Hollywood, The Tower of London…., and they think they knew Ethiopia ; they are not. come and visit Ethiopia, Experience the Mountain, Visit your own Historic Places..

11/03/12 @ 01:20
Comment from: wepE [Member]

Thank you for giving us a great read. Very descriptive words.

———————————————————————
Igzer EtyoP’yan And’ Yargat, Kek’fum YiT’ebikat.
Wakes up every day proud that I’m an Ethiopian.
———————————————————————

11/03/12 @ 07:41
Comment from: Nostra Daimus [Visitor]
5 stars
Nostra Daimus

Thanks Nazret! Beautiful and posetive story, a change from the negative story that the American Media used to run.
I think it is the time for Ethiopia to shine.

@gebru seitan
Diaspora spends millions in Ethiopia either either maintaining your lazy ass or visiting.
‘Do not bite the hand that feeds you’
It is not our culture…
chaka chaka tul tul mehied
I have visited all parts of Ethiopia Axum, Lalibela, Semien, south lakes includiing Eritrea which is part of Ethiopia. Everywhere it was beautiful because God created that way and not because of you.

11/03/12 @ 11:39
Comment from: ager wodad [Visitor]
ager wodad

I enjoyed the good news from this traveler.Sorry there is no food establishment in or outside the park.the govt.of Ethiopia should solve this problem.

11/03/12 @ 14:08
Comment from: yigermal [Member]
yigermal

Nostra Daimus,

If you don’t like the stories run by Nazret.com, go somewhere else. Nazret.com doesn’t need your compliments. Nazret.com will report on those things that it considers newsworthy whether you complement it or not. Period!

I guess you may enjoy reading or listening to one-sided stories on ETV. If you don’t like what Nazret.com is doing, go and listen to your favorate station, ETV, and we don’t need you here; neither do we need your compliments. Stick you compliments into your TPLF drawers.

11/03/12 @ 20:02
Comment from: Observer [Visitor]
5 stars
Observer

germognal,

It is just unbelievable why Idiots like you even write anything. Did you read first what Noster Domas said? He was responding to another Idiot like you who try to criticize Diaspora. He was not commenting about the article. READ READ READ first dumbass.

All you losers who try to criticize Diaspora are because you are not able to go to US or EU so that just kills you. Let me tell you one thing ones and for all. We DISPORA don’t care what you think of us. Just don’t waste your time. We just read it and feel sorry for you that is all. Because if we want we can come to Ethiopia if we don’t want we don’t have to. We can come and go as we wish. We send money or come and spend money because we want to you Idiots. No body put a gun on our head like your BANDA Tigry government. So just shut the f up otherwise like Noster Domas said we will shock you throat by not sending any money if you don’t behave.

11/03/12 @ 21:17
Comment from: yigermal [Member]
yigermal

Observer,

Your points are well-taken and I missed Nostra Daimus’ point. You are absolutely right about that and I was wrong.

Unlike the TPLF, you see, I admit I am wrong when, in fact, I am wrong. By the way, I do not consider myself an “idiot” or a “dumbass” as you inidcated. Again, unlike, the TPLF, I respect your right to express yourself.

Observer, how do you miss that I am from the Diaspora since I referred to Nostra Daimus as a TPLF member? Since you also did not quite read what I wrote quite accurately, can I also call you an “idiot” and a “dumbass"?

11/03/12 @ 23:14
Comment from: ewnetu [Visitor]
ewnetu

Mr/whoever germognal;go hel with your 100 dollar. You remain band for the rest of your life. Your achievement is making maybe 2000 dollars fill your fees with jank food. That is it. You try to undermine Ethiopia and Ethiopian, but Ethiopia do not need you and your kinds.

11/03/12 @ 23:20
Comment from: Ethiopiawinet [Visitor]
Ethiopiawinet

Folks,
Why we never get along. In every subject there is insult and name calling.
I tried to advise on human rights specially religious freedom and I was insulted because of some where some place some so called bad people in the name of Muslims committ crime. They then paint all very peaceful Muslims with bad name.
Come to your senses before the country split like sudan and Ethiopia. Let us keep the map as it is by respecting human rights for all.
Let us develop nationalism and love for the country.

11/03/12 @ 23:22
Comment from: Gebru [Visitor]
Gebru

@ Observer [Visitor]

“We DISPORA don’t care what you think of us”
To Answer your Qyestion Ethiopian in The Diaspora, not all but some Idiots like you think politician, or activist; you are not.
1- Always blame Ethiopian Government since the King’s era..
2-Always depends on the West to put you in power, especially the U.S, and G.B
3- Never grow, and always think better than Ethiopian people
4- Always underestimate the Ethiopian people.
5- By working two, three jobs and saving $$$$ back to show off, and act like a Tourist, pretend you forgot everything, but you. don’t even speak proper english or what ever languge you live in.
6- Always BOASTING……
I think I answered your question we call you all of the above if you need more I will be glad to list you more Idiot ….DOMA RAS !!!!
you are not nothing ! Learn to grow, by the ways there are many Ethiopians in the Diaspora not includede in this list, they love their beloved country, their people and they always act NORMAL …..

11/04/12 @ 02:23
Comment from: abrzk [Visitor]
abrzk

chegeren benegerat – chigerwan negerechenge ale

11/04/12 @ 07:00
Comment from: my2cents [Visitor]
my2cents

In another time, in another era, this article, inspirational and adenturesome, would have been a
welcoming distraction. However, under TPLF, where everything is preemptively controlled. You can’t organize a tour from the U.S because there is no way the rulers approve of it. yebeyee temelkatch. By the way, Bloomberg and WSJ try their best to promote Ethiopia. It is ostensibly to help out economically.

11/04/12 @ 20:05
Comment from: my2cents [Visitor]
my2cents

welcoming distraction. However, under TPLF, where everything is preemptively controlled, you can’t organize a tour from the U.S because there is no way the rulers approve of it. yebeyee temelkatch. By the way, Bloomberg and WSJ try their best to promote Ethiopia. It is ostensibly to help out economically.

11/04/12 @ 20:09
Comment from: Visitor [Visitor]
Visitor

Them dudes,

Ask Guerilla what you can do for him, not what he can do to you. Ask Walia what you can do to her, not what she can bring you them tourists. Dude was spotted asking the deportation of a naturalized citizen, so him dude get granted a scholarship. Censorship has all that embarrassment and education. You know? We educate them. In ya’dream. My check.

11/04/12 @ 21:18
Comment from: Sam I Am [Visitor]
Sam I Am

Gemeromal,
Very well put. I was a bit confused myself after reading what Observer had to say. I like your sarcasm after your apology. I give you, it is intriguing. But why put yourself in par with Obsever by stooping to his/her level which defeats your purpose.

11/04/12 @ 21:46